Features of the cultivation and care of carrots Red Cor
Perhaps, not a single dish in our kitchen can do without carrots. Growing this root crop on the site, I want to get the highest quality crop. One of the most popular varieties of carrots that justifies the hopes of vegetable growers is Red Cor, about which in detail today in the article.
Description and characteristics of the variety
A cone-shaped root crop grows a strong, dense tops, with dark green dissected leaves. The average weight of the fruit is 300 g, length is not more than 15 cm, color is bright orange. The surface of the vegetable is smooth, without sagging and branches, the eyes are medium in size. The structure of the thin core is soft, practically indistinguishable from pulp. Characteristic taste: pleasant aroma, juiciness and sweetness.
Used fresh and for processing
Red Cor is a hybrid of Chantane variety, it is a product of selection of geneticists from Holland. Dutch vegetables and root vegetables have long been popular with farmers around the world. Their products are distinguished by high yields, excellent appearance and taste.
Did you know? Gnawing hard carrot pulp is good for healthy teeth and gums. In addition, it cleans plaque from tooth enamel, which was used by our ancestors.
Planting region and ripening dates
Dutch hybrids, and Red Cor is no exception, excellent winter hardiness, therefore, can be grown both in the southern and northern territories. Early variety: after the emergence of strong shoots, it takes from 75 to 80 days to ripen.
Productivity is high, regardless of the type and structure of the soil, from 1 m² they collect up to 9 kg of carrots, on an industrial scale - from 1 ha of sown area of about 45 tons.
Video: Red Cor Carrots
Subject to crop rotation and agricultural technology, Red Cor is highly resistant to diseases, especially fungal.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The main advantage of the hybrid over other varieties is that pulp does not accumulate nitrates. Of course, fertilizers must be applied without exceeding the norm.
- Other advantages:
- resistance to low temperatures and drought;
- practically, does not crack and does not go into the arrow;
- immunity to disease;
- productivity and transportability;
- long shelf life;
- universality in application;
- taste qualities.
Agriculture cultivating varieties
The hybrid is not difficult to grow, it does not require special conditions. The main thing is to correctly choose a place and predecessors.
Optimal growing conditions
According to crop rotation rules, carrots are planted after onion vegetables and solanaceous crops. Do not plant root crops in one place for two years in a row.
Important! Bad culture predecessors: parsnip, dill, celery.
Throughout the entire period of development, the fruits need sun lighting for most of the day. A light shadow will not hurt development, but constant shading will lead to form ugliness. This variety grows equally well in greenhouse conditions and in open beds.
Planting date depends on the region of cultivation. In areas with severe winters, winter sowing is carried out so that plants better adapt to low temperatures. In the south, you can plant in the spring in mid-late April, in early April sowing in a greenhouse is possible. The main condition for spring planting is soil warmed up to + 15 ° C.
Follow the order of planting carrots after other crops
Choosing the best place and preparing the garden
It is not advisable to choose a landing site in a lowland where meltwater and rain accumulate. Carrots do not like excess moisture. In principle, the plant bears fruit well on any soil, however, heavy soils can deform the vegetable. Therefore, too dense soil is “diluted” with river sand and peat 2-3 kg / m². 2-3 weeks before sowing, the site should be dug up, breaking up thick lumps, and the day before the procedure, loosen and level.
Preparation and scheme of planting seeds
Material is examined and dummies, damaged grains are removed. Red Cor seeds have good germination, but many vegetable growers prefer germinate material before sowing.
For this, the grains are placed in a damp cloth and left in a warm place (near the heating appliance) for a week, periodically moistening.
When sowing on the plot, furrows are prepared at a distance of 20 cm from each other.
Sowing is carried out to a depth of 3 cm, with an interval of 1.5 cm
Compliance with the rules of caring for the crop will help to grow a quality crop that has an impeccable presentation.
When watering carrots, the method is used irrigation from a watering can or spray hose. The holes in the sprayer should be as small as possible so as not to erode the topsoil, revealing part of the fruit.
Important! A fruit exposed to the sun, when ripening under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, corned beef is gathered, which is manifested by bitterness in taste.
Young crops are irrigated once every 4 days, as the interval grows, the interval is reduced to 5–7 days. The frequency of irrigation is regulated depending on the amount of rainfall. In drought during hot weather, watering is carried out more often, with less frequent regular rains. It is advisable to take water at room temperature and standing, about 15 liters are consumed per m² area.
This variety responds better to mineral nutrition.. In total, the culture is fertilized 4 times per season with an interval of 2 weeks.
- The first spend 20 days after the appearance of sprouts. A solution of urea (5 g) and superphosphate (15 g) in 8 l of water is used.
- Second - nitrofoska 15 g / 6 l, carefully place.
- Third time fertilize with an aqueous solution of wood ash in a proportion of 400 g / 10 l.
- Last feeding - This is a solution of boric acid 2 g / 10 l of water.
With the timely introduction of nutrients, Red Cor carrots actively emerge
As soon as the seedlings have a pair of strong leaves, planting needs to be thinned out. Each fruit, developing, should have enough space, otherwise its shape will be deformed. First of all, weak specimens are removed. If strong sprouts fall under thinning, they can be planted in another territory.
The procedure is repeated when the fruits are already formed, but have not yet reached maturity. Extracted specimens can be used as food.
With thinning need weed the bed from weeds and loosen the upper layer of soil. Root crops, in addition to nutrition, need to breathe. Weeding and loosening is carried out as accurately as possible, with a tool with a small surface of the blade, so as not to damage the vegetables.
Diseases and pests of the variety
Diseases can affect carrot beds due to errors in planting and / or care.
The main diseases and pests of carrots and methods of dealing with them:
- Fomoz manifested by brown spots on the surface of the peel, voids with black edges form inside. The treatment with Maxim is carried out by spraying the soil with a solution in a proportion of 2 ml / 2 l of water.
- White rot leads to softening of vegetables, covers them with fluffy white mold. Black rot manifests itself as a dry coating on the root crop, while its tops dry out. The “Rovral” preparation is effective against diseases, the soil and vegetables are treated with a drug diluted in a proportion of 1g / 1 liter.
- Brown spotting Covers the tops with dark or rusty spots, destroys seedlings. Treatment - spraying with Gamair fungicide 2 tablets per 1 liter of water.
- Powdery Mildew Recognized by a whitish cereal coating, which leads to a crushing of the crop, to coarsening and stiff fibration of the pulp.I use the drug Fitosporin-M, spraying is carried out with an aqueous solution prepared in a proportion of 2.5 g / 5 l of water.
- Carrot fly. The fight against insects is carried out by spraying with a solution of "Karate" 0.2 ml / 1 l of water.
- Winter scoop. The insect is destroyed with the help of "Actellik" diluting 2 ml of the substance in 2 l of water.
- Medvedka. Bazudin is effective against root pests; the preparation is applied to the soil in a dry form at the rate of 1.5 g / m².
- Slug. Against the mollusk, the Thunderstorm drug showed itself well. For prevention, it is scattered around the perimeter of the planting, and for treatment over the entire surface of the soil. Calculation of the drug 3 g / m².
Harvesting and storage
2-3 weeks before the expected harvest, watering is reduced so that the fruits do not have cracks or other deformations. Carrots are harvested in dry weather, pulling from the ground for the tops. Since the variety has strong greens, auxiliary tools are not needed. After harvesting, the root crop needs to be dried, sometimes it is left right on the boundary.
Store vegetables in a clean, dry, dark place with mandatory ventilation. Storage temperature from 0 ° С to + 4 ° С, humidity 85–95%. In appropriate conditions, the crop is stored until spring, without loss of appearance and taste.
Did you know? For an entire week in February, the annual Carrot Festival takes place in the California city of Holtville. Residents at this time enjoy colorful processions and parades, culinary delights, participate in various contests and competitions.
Growing a hybrid of Red Cor will not cause difficulties for a summer resident or a farmer, if he adheres to the rules of agricultural cultivation. Juicy, sweet and healthy root crop can be used fresh, in preservation and other preparations for the winter.