Features of using onion for weight loss
Onions in the world cuisine have long been one of the most consumed products. Whether a vegetable is valued in dietetics, for what, and whether it helps to lose weight - this is discussed in an article today.
Calorie content and chemical composition
Culture includes several varieties.
The most popular in our kitchen:
- green onions.
The whole family has approximately the same composition of nutrients, with a difference in the number of elements.The table below shows the basic chemical composition of onion crops:
|B5, pantothenic acid||Sodium||Selenium|
|B9, Folic Acid||Phosphorus||Fluorine|
|C, ascorbic acid||Chlorine||Chromium|
The record holder for the number of calories per 100 g is shallot - 72 kcal. Onions contain 40 kcal per 100 g, leek - 33 kcal. The lowest calorie is green onions (19 kcal / 100 g).
Did you know? The Roman emperor Nero, paying more attention to acting than managing a power, consumed leeks in considerable quantities daily. He believed that the vegetable supports the health of his vocal cords.
Is it possible to eat onions while losing weight
Many people who want to lose weight are interested in the question: is it possible to get fat by regularly eating onions.Given the low calorie content of the product, if you want to lose weight, it will not only not hurt, but also help. Light salads, vegetable stew or soup - these are the dishes that are included in the diet menu.
The vegetable will be especially useful to those who maintain a strict diet menu. In this case, the body usually loses a large amount of vitamins and minerals. As a result, the immune and nervous systems suffer, and the appearance worsens. The onion will make up for the lack of useful elements and diversify the menu.
What kind of vegetable is better for weight loss
Each type of onion is good in its own way. Onion makes the dish sharp, saturates it with aroma, but not everyone likes its bitterness. In this case, you can use leek or shallots, which are much softer than their onion counterpart.
Leek contains a large number of useful minerals and vitamins. In the white and green parts of the leek, there is a large amount of fiber and organic acids. Leek, by the way, is a champion among onions in the content of ascorbic acid.
Shallot - the most high-calorieHowever, in moderation, it is not harmful when losing weight. On the contrary, saturated fatty and polyunsaturated acids in its composition satisfy the feeling of hunger. The product does not have strong bitterness and is used both in fresh form and in heat treatment.
The famous low-calorie onion soup, so beloved by the French, is prepared from shallot.Green feathers are as fortified as possibleIn addition, they are rich in essential oils, volatile and flavonoids. Feathers are combined with any fresh vegetables, cheese, diet meat. The product is used as a seasoning in the second and first courses, which gives the dietary dish an attractive appetizing appearance.
Important! Onion juice is considered a popular drink for weight loss, but it should not be consumed on an empty stomach, since it is aggressive for the gastric mucosa.
The action of the product in the fight against excess weight
Onion crops, due to its rich composition, have a number of properties and actions that support and accelerate the process of losing weight.
- With regular use in the body, the following occurs:
- metabolic processes are accelerated;
- optimized water-salt balance;
- the rate of burning of fat cells accelerates, their accumulation is leveled;
- the production of gastric juice is stimulated;
- digestion processes are accelerated;
- with the help of fiber, the remains of undigested food are removed from the body;
- thanks to prebiotics in the composition, the intestinal microflora improves;
- liver and kidney function improves, which helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
Useful properties for the human body
Onion is useful not only for weight loss, it has a lot of other advantages.Regular use of onions in food has a lot of beneficial effects on various body systems:
- Cardiovascular - strengthening the walls of blood vessels and capillaries, reducing the risk of ischemia, strengthening the heart muscle, lowering blood pressure.
- Circulatory - normalization of glucose and cholesterol levels in the blood, the production of red blood cells, increased hemoglobin.
- Immune - inhibition of cells of viruses and infections, increasing the body's resistance. The presence of quercetin inhibits the division and distribution of atypical cells.
- Nervous - B vitamins and minerals improve brain function, normalize the exchange of nerve impulses, and contribute to the elimination of insomnia and chronic fatigue.
- Bone and muscle - macro- and microelements contribute to the regeneration of bone, muscle and connective tissue cells, contribute to their strengthening and elasticity. Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel, and calcium and vitamins E, C - nails and hair, support skin health.
- The product is useful for both men and women, supporting the reproductive system, eliminating sexual dysfunction. The use of the product in food stabilizes the hormonal background, normalizes the menstrual cycle in women, and prevents the decrease in libido in men. This is a powerful support for anemia, vitamin deficiency.
Did you know? Archaeologists found an image of a bow in Egypt on the walls of the tomb of the boy king Tutankhamun. In addition, letters were found describing the cost of food for slave-builders of tombs, the menu of which included garlic, radish and onions.
The benefits of the product are recognized and used in home cosmetology, with the help of masks and lotions strengthen nails. Onion is used for hair loss - strengthens the follicles, gives a healthy shine and strength. Its juice whitens the skin, reduces the surface of age spots, promotes the regeneration of epidermal cells and regulates the functioning of the sebaceous glands.
Possible harm and contraindications
- The product contains a lot of essential oils and acids, so you need to use it with caution in the following diseases:
- gastrointestinal ulcer;
- increased acidity of gastric juice;
With an exacerbation of kidney and liver disease, a vegetable can aggravate the situation.
The main rules of onion diet
For weight loss, the vegetable can be consumed both fresh and after heat treatment. The soup diet is considered the most popular. Thanks to her, in a week you can lose up to 6-8 kg of excess weight. The menu options can be either stiff - only onion soup for 3 days, or simpler - with alternating other dishes.
One of the main conditions of a soup diet is to prepare a fresh dish daily, as over time the fat-burning effect of the product decreases. Other vegetables, fresh or cooked, may also be on the menu. You can eat salads, but the dressing should be from vegetable oil.
It is advisable to discuss the duration of the diet with a gastroenterologist and nutritionist; it cannot be unlimited.
Eating raw onions at night can cause digestive organ reflux, since the acids in the vegetable are irritating. Reflux - This is the outflow of fluid from hollow organs in the opposite direction, for example, from the stomach to the pharynx or from the intestine to the stomach.Nutritionists also do not recommend eating foods with a low glycemic index at night due to the fact that they are slowly digested.Since at night all body systems, including the digestive system, must be restored, eating onions can give the opposite effect to losing weight.
Important! In isolated cases, reflux is not dangerous, it is considered a normal physiological phenomenon. With a regular repetition of the process, there is a risk of serious illness.
Onion crops for weight loss are not contraindicated, on the contrary, they are desirable and useful. To be as effective as possible and not harm, the diet should be tasty and varied, rich in vitamin and mineral complex.