Can I eat melon with a stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer?
Gastric ulcer is a fairly common disease that affects the mucous membrane of the stomach in the form of wounds. People suffering from this disease should adhere to a strict diet. But in the summer, when there is a wide variety of vegetables and fruits, which include melons, this is extremely difficult to do. Is it possible to eat melon with a stomach ulcer, we will consider in this article.
The chemical composition and calorie content of the product
Despite the sweet taste, melon is a low-calorie product that contains a large number of useful vitamins, micro and macro elements. More details about the chemical composition of this gourd can be found in the table below.
|The form||Amount per 100 g of product|
|Calorie content||35 kcal|
|Vitamin C||20 mg|
|Vitamin B4||7.6 mg|
|Alimentary fiber||0.9 g|
In addition to the above components, this includes vitamin A, E, K, PP, group B, calcium, magnesium, sodium, sulfur, phosphorus, aluminum, copper, rubidium, sucrose, mono- and disaccharides, etc.
Melon with gastric ulcer: is it possible or not?
Damage to the gastric mucosa occurs due to: malnutrition, frequent stress, poor environmental conditions, bad habits, etc. It is accompanied by pain, heartburn, diarrhea, diarrhea, disruption of the gastrointestinal tract, discomfort.
Doctors categorically forbid people who have a stomach and duodenal ulcer or gastritis during an exacerbation of the disease to eat melon, which can increase acidity and, thereby, further aggravate the course of the disease. It can be eaten in small portions if the acidity of the stomach is normal or low.
Important! Due to stresses, the secretion of gastric juice containing hydrochloric acid increases, which leads to a negative effect on the gastric mucosa. Folic acid, which is part of the melon, calms the nervous system and thus prevents this detrimental effect.
The beneficial properties of melon for digestion
It is very useful for healthy people to consume gourds, since it has a beneficial effect on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract and improves the digestion process. Doctors advise eating it in moderation in both adults and children.
- In addition to the fact that the melon is very sweet and tasty, it is useful for children as follows:
- contains a large number of vitamins and minerals;
- used as an anti-helminth agent
- boosts immunity.
- Adults need to eat melon because it:
- low-calorie product recommended for weight loss;
- It satisfies hunger and thirst;
- dulls the development of inflammatory processes in the stomach;
- improves the passage of food through the intestines;
- helps with constipation and hemorrhoids;
- fiber removes toxins from the body.
The main rules for choosing a fresh product
The correct choice of gourds plays an important role for patients with gastric ulcers, since you need to use only fresh and ripe product, in order to avoid side effects.
To do this, when buying, you need to pay attention to such signs:
- a sweet and aromatic smell should be emitted;
- the peel should be elastic, without cracks, signs of decay;
- the tail should be dry to the ground;
- a slam should make a dull sound.
Features of eating melon with stomach ulcers
Given the effect of melon on the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum, it can be eaten by patients with an ulcer.
The main thing is that you must adhere to the advice of specialists:
- in a small amount when there is no acute phase of the disease or after treatment with a positive result;
- allowed to patients with normal or low acidity;
- it is possible after the main course as a dessert, but not on an empty stomach;
- the optimal dose is 1-2 small pieces 1 time per week.
Important! Nutritionists advise eating melon culture alone, without mixing it with other products. And it is better to do this 2 hours before or after eating.
Contraindications and possible side effects
- In addition to benefits, the use of melon causes side effects and is contraindicated in such cases:
- in large quantities causes colic, heartburn, diarrhea;
- not recommended for people with diabetes, as well as overweight;
- should not be taken by nursing mothers, as it can cause intestinal upset in babies.
From the foregoing, it follows that despite all the beneficial properties, vitamin composition and high palatability of melon, people suffering from a stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer should be used very carefully. This is best done after consultation with your healthcare provider.